Saturday, September 4, 2010

The Beginning

I am currently in the beginning process of creating an 1862 Regulation U.S. Navy Uniform.  It is the 7th Naval uniform of some kind that I have made for my husband of almost 30 years, Greg. My first Navy uniform was just awful! (a Civil War U.S. Navy summer uniform from "Uniforms of the Civil War in color" by Phillip Haythornthwaite) But at the time, we thought it was great. It takes some research and we did not know much about it all at the time. Not because the reference book was bad, just my interpretation, fabric choices, insignia.... We do have a great deal more reference books now and they do help! I built an 1864 Regulation U.S. Navy uniform as one of our Dickens-on-the-Strand costumes, period clothing. It was, is, grand. But, I can do better. Here is Greg wearing the uniform with our youngest daughter, Lillie, at the Brooksville, Florida reenactment in 2006.

No comments:

Post a Comment